What's Happening...

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Why Hunter?

Why play a hunter? For me the answer is, why not?

Rolling my first wow character, I was new to the online community experience, and I didn't really know anyone else who would be playing, so I needed a character I could solo.

Of the races, I was most drawn to the night elves. I had played them almost exclusively in Warcraft, and liked the lore and of course the priestesses on their cat mounts. I didn't want to be human...that didn't seem like much imagination to me. Dwarfs were cool, gnomes were cute.

Of the classes, rogue, hunter, druid and maybe warlock seemed the most solo-able to me. Priest and warrior were out, they seemed like they'd be too group dependent, and possibly hard for a newbie to level. Mage and paladin were just sort of ok.

I decided I was most interested in the pet class option, and picked Night Elf because it was the race I knew the most about. (Ok, and they were pretty and tall)

So, in beta I played a Night Elf hunter and completely fell in love. This was my game, this was my class, this was home.

When the servers went live I rolled a dwarf hunter on an RP server, just for the fun of it. Had it not been for the constant 14-year-old "lol RP is stupid" in general chat, and the surly drunken male dwarfs trying to "RP" with me, I might have lasted longer.

Next I re-rolled a Night Elf Hunter on a PvE server, joined a guild and began my journey to 60. It took me a long time. Not because it was hard, but because I soloed most of the time, and I enjoyed the trip. I was in no real hurry.

Now this was back when hunters were a dime a dozen, and certainly weren't cool. But I loved it. I didn't get into instance groups very often, but I didn't care, I was having my adventure.

After I was 60 for a while, I re-rolled again on a PvP server. I had a guild, a raid...and a warrior. I missed my hunter. I tried other alts, I still missed my hunter.

When Burning Crusade launched, I rolled a Draenei Hunter and leveled her to 70 on my PvP server. I still have many other characters, that I play and enjoy, but I finally have my hunter again and if I ever had to start over, a hunter would be my choice. With my cat at my side, I roam the zones of World of Warcraft. I may have a different look, I may have detoured along the way, but in my soul I am Feather, and I'm a hunter.

No comments: